City of Busselton councillors agreed 9-nil to ban the use of beach shelters and windbreaks on beaches outside of daylight hours unless a permit was issued.
The matter has been before council several times over the last two years with the council adopting a new policy in April last year to allow structures to remain setup for special events like Gourmet Escape.
In October 2015, residents presented the council a petition with 540 signatures requesting that they reverse their decision to ban the long term use of beach shelters.
At the community access session on Wednesday, May 10, Siesta Park owner Greg Tickle also raised concerns that his guests had been affected by the changes.
Mr Tickle said many of his guests had for years, erected short-term shelters on the beach which would remain in place for the duration of their holiday so they did not have to dismantle the structures each day.
He said he would have liked the council to adopt guidelines for people who used beach shelters which would indicate how long a shelter could remain erected, the size it should be and how it should be tied down.
Under local law, if rangers find a beach shelter or windbreak left on the beaches overnight they may impound the structure if it is left on city property.
Under the policy beach shelters could be erected on local government property overnight where it was necessary for an event.
The applicant would have to demonstrate there was no alternative, that it was safe and they held $10 million in public liability insurance.