FOLLOWING the tragic death of a Bunbury teenager a Busselton electrician urges residents who live in older homes to install a safety switch.
After 18-year-old Jayden Zapelli died while working on electrical wiring at a home in East Bunbury more than two years ago, his father started a campaign to force all home owners to install a safety device on circuits.
Master Electricians Australia MEA joined the campaign and lashed out at comments from commerce minister Michael Mischin.
MEA said Mr Mischin stated the installation of safety switches also known as, residual current devices, on older homes would be too expensive for homeowners, and costly for regulators to monitor.
Busselton based Warren Electrical Service electrician Dean Taylor said too many people were putting a price on their family’s safety.
Mr Taylor said the average price of a safety switch installation could vary from job to job but suggested an average price of about $200.
“To encourage home owners to install a safety switch we include a free inspection, of the house wiring, switchboard and smoke alarms and provide free advice and quoting service,” Mr Taylor said.
“Safety switches are as important in old house as they are in new installations.”
Mr Taylor said the switch could provide protection against faulty appliances, electrical shocks and incorrect or damaged wiring not only protecting the occupants but also any trade or maintenance person attending the house.
Mr Mischin said as a consequence of electrocution deaths in the workplace the government had implemented a number of strategies to mitigate risks.
However, Mr Mischin said it must be recognised that the cost of installing a Residual Current Device RCD started from around $500 if only two devices were required.
“An increased demand for the installation of RCDs, if retro-fitting were to be mandated, may encourage contractors to inflate the cost of installation.”
Mr Mischin also said in the unfortunate case of Mr Zappelli, the fault was due to his electrician supervisor not undertaking all necessary checks to ensure the cable that Mr Zappelli was asked to handle was de-energised.
To organise a free site inspection for the install of a safety switch contact Warren Electrical Service 9751 3821.