Bulldogs take down Magpies in round 18 | Photos

There are just five teams left with a chance to claim the 2017 Southwest Football League crown with the last round of the regular season completed across the weekend.

The Bunbury Bulldogs claimed the minor premiership on Sunday with a solid win over Busselton at home. 

The Bulldogs proved too much for the Magpies, who fought hard at the away game in Payne Park on Sunday, August 27. 

The Bulldogs and the Magpies traded blows in the opening half with neither side really finding the upper hand.

The Bulldogs started strong, scoring a goal and several points early on into the first quarter.

Busselton did their best to keep the pressure on the opposition from the start, quickly retaliating,

getting the ball back in their possession and scoring a goal followed by two points, evening up the scores.

Bunbury scrambled the get the ball back, managing the score another goal despite a few slips and rough tackles from both sides.

The first quarter scores sat with Bunbury just in the lead, 2.3.15 to Busselton 1.5.11.

The sun kept shining throughout the second quarter, with both teams fighting hard.

Busselton kept the pressure on the Bulldogs, with Captain Aiden Fraser keeping the ball firmly in his possession.

Bunbury’s team work proved too strong though, scoring another goal early into the second quarter.

The top side on the table had a scare in the third term, with the young Magpies hitting the front.

They led by five points 6.9.45 to 5.10.40 at the final change. 

A dominant last term gave the Bulldogs their 14th win of the season, with the final scores sitting at 10.14.74 to 7.9.51. 

While Busselton’s improvement throughout the season saw them manage to just avoid the bottom of the ladder.

It was a similar scene for the Busselton women’s team, who fought hard to keep up with Bunbury.

After a rocky start in the first quarter, the Busselton ladies managed to find their form and were nearly neck and neck with Bunbury by half time, with the scores at Busselton 3.2.20 to Bunbury 3.4. 22.

Bunbury found their stride, starting the second half of the game strong. 

The third quarter scores were Bunbury 4. 7.31 to Busselton 3.3.21.

The final quarter is where Bunbury found their form, showing their strength through their team work. 

Busselton did well to keep up with Bunbury throughout the game but ultimately didn’t quite make it.

The Busselton ladies stayed strong, scoring another goal in the fourth quarter.

However Bunbury ultimately proved too much for Busselton, with the finals scores at 4.9.33 to 4.4 .28.

The rest of round 18 saw the Collie Eagles host dress rehearsal for this Sunday’s qualifying final against Harvey-Brunswick-Leschenault with a 47 point win over the Lions. 

The Harvey Bulls earned the right to host the first elimination final under lights at Harvey Recreation Ground after a convincing round 18 triumph over Donnybrook. 

The Bulls will face Augusta-Margaret River this Sunday with the winner to advance.

Last weekend, the Hawks doubled the score of South Bunbury, who will miss this year’s finals after capturing last year’s premiership flag. 

Pride was on the line when Carey Park and Eaton played their last game of the year. 

The Panthers took an eight point advantage into the first term, 5.3.33 to 4.1.25 while Eaton had regained the lead by half time 8.3.51 to 6.5.41.

 In the third term, the Boomers drew further ahead of added six majors in the fourth quarter to take the game 17.8.110 to 12.7.79. 

Head online for a full look at the final ladders and the fixtures for round one of the finals series.