South Bunbury colts through to SWFL preliminary final with a two point win over Busselton | Photos

South Bunbury’s colts have held off a fourth quarter surge from Busselton to secure a place in next weekend’s SWFL preliminary final. 

The Magpies controlled the game after the opening bouncedown, with the majority of handballs and marks finding their targets. 

Play resided in Busselton’s forward 50 before Magpie Daniel Gault kicked the game’s first goal. 

Several South Bunbury players were called out for pushing in the back, while the Tigers’ defence was working overtime to stop Busselton’s assault. 

South Bunbury’s form picked up late in the quarter, with Jehb O’Donohue and Michael Trowles kicking accurately to give the Tigers the lead. 

Busselton’s Tait Spowart booted his first goal to tie the scores at 2.1.13 apiece at quarter time. 

Magpies Colts coach Michelle Harries pushed her side to keep the intensity going and not take short cuts.

Busselton quickly found form and dominated possession in the second quarter. 

Connor Timms’s first goal gave the Pies back the lead, before Tiger Riley Flynn’s impressive effort kept the scores close. 

Turnovers and free kicks proved costly for Busselton as the Tigers created an increased number of chances midway through the term. 

Both teams suffered from inaccurate kicking and rushed decisions, while defenders pushed themselves to knock the ball behind the goal-line. 

Tiger Ethan Nordahl kicked two consecutive goals to push out the lead. Magpie Taylor Barr’s golden opportunity hit the post late in the quarter. 

South Bunbury’s improved form delivered a 5.4.34 to 4.4.28 lead at the main break. 

The majority of rucks and contests went South Bunbury’s way in the third quarter, with Busselton’s midfield struggling to compete. 

Gault kicked his second to even the scores, while Busselton’s defenders kept the Tigers’s powerhouse forwards from capitalising.

South Bunbury’s Cole Sawyer, left free in the forward 50, kept the Tigers’ hopes alive before Busselton responded. 

With scores at 6.6.42 apiece at three quarter time, Tigers coach Barry Gresham urged players to man up and kick as close to the forward line as possible. 

He said it came down to belief and how hard the team wanted a place in the grand final. 

Busselton dominated possession and found its targets. Busselton star Isaac Haslam kicked two goals early in the final term and gave fans hope. 

Magpie Jaxon Bennison extended his side’s lead midway through before Trowles kicked his second to decrease the margin. 

In a nail-biting final ten minutes, South Bunbury layers Jay Crossman and Flynn landed impressive attempts on goal to even the scores.

The Tigers slotted two points in the last two minutes to nab a 10.9.69 to 10.7.67 victory at Collie Recreation Ground. 

South Bunbury faces an in-form Harvey-Brunswick-Leschenault in next Sunday’s preliminary final at Hands Oval, with the winner to face Bunbury in this year’s grand final showdown.