Man faces court over Nannup firearm incident

In court: Grant Lewis Raynel has appeared in Busselton Magistrates Court on Tuesday, June 19 over an alleged firearms incident on June 14 in Nannup. Mr Raynel will reappear on July 3. Photo: South West Police.
In court: Grant Lewis Raynel has appeared in Busselton Magistrates Court on Tuesday, June 19 over an alleged firearms incident on June 14 in Nannup. Mr Raynel will reappear on July 3. Photo: South West Police.

A man allegedly at the centre of a firearms incident in Nannup last week has faced court. 

Grant Lewis Raynel appeared in Busselton Magistrates Court on June 19 and did not apply for bail.

His lawyer Michael Laurino requested a two week adjournment while his client’s mental well-being was assessed. 

He asked for the question of bail to be kept open.

Magistrate Evan Shackleton adjourned the matter to July 3 and noted a bail application may be expected at a future date.

Mr Raynel faced court over charges in relation to the incidents outside Nannup Police Station in the early hours of June 14.

According to South West Police, an off-duty police officer woke to the sound of a trailer and motorcycle being abandoned outside of Nannup Police Station at 2am. 

Police found the vehicle and driver in the Nannup town site a short time later. 

While being approached by two officers, the accused allegedly drove away before conducting burnouts in Nannup Police Station’s car park. 

Police later heard gunshots, then saw the accused allegedly holding a firearm while pointing it out of a window. After hurling obscenities at police, the accused drove off and was heard driving recklessly through the area.

At 5am, the accused allegedly returned to the station’s car park and unloaded his firearm multiple times. 

He then allegedly threatened officers with a knife before being arrested. 

He was taken to Bunbury District Hospital for assessment due to his erratic behaviour.  

South West District Superintendent Mick Sutherland commended the officers involved in the incident. 

“Myself and local police have been down there. However, the officers at Nannup were the ones who arrested the male,” he said.

Superintendent Sutherland said no shots were directly fired at police during the incident.

“Their professional, calm approach to a very complex situation is commendable. There were no injuries to the person involved, the police, or the community.

“The investigation will be based around the dischargement of firearms. That really is a concern to the public at any time. We just need to work through that. 

“We will work through the evidence we have gleaned, depending on his interview at a later date."