Busselton Dunsborough Dungbeetles take down Bunbury Bulls

All the boxes where ticked for a showdown between the Dunsborough Busselton Dungbeetles and the Bunbury Bulls, and neither club disappointed.

The weather awesome, with blue skies and sunshine bringing loyal supporters and spectators out in force to cheer on their team.

With no love lost between the Dungbeetles and Bulls it was game on.

The Bulls charged through the gates to score first, with great pick up from a set piece to score near the posts; try converted 7 – 0.

As quickly as Bunbury scored, the Dungbeetles regrouped and set their game plan in action.

Guts, passion, determination and awesome defence set the platform for the Dungbeetles’ back line to show their class, with a beautiful try under the Bunbury posts making it an even score at half time.

In the Dungbeetles’ changing room every man stood in anticipation. Coaching staff and players were all in agreement, the job was not yet done.

The Dungbeetles had 35 minutes  to stamp their authority and win the game, the team played with pride in the Dungbeetles’ jersey and believed in each other’s ability.

During the second half the defence and attack from both teams was inspirational. If you were a fan or new to rugby, this game had it all. 

Standing on the Dungbeetles club balcony overlooking the match, you heard the banter among the players and saw the sweat, tears and jubilation, this was good country rugby at its best.

With the Dungbeetles now facing the beautiful back drop of the Busselton Jetty and Geographe Bay, the boys came out firing on 15 cylinders.

Great forward pack set pieces through to sublime scrum half passing out to the hard and smooth running of the Dungbeetles full back, the Dungbeetles were in for try number two and converted 14 – 7.

Not to be out done the Bunbury Bulls fought hard to get themselves back into the game and quickly scored from broken play making the score even again. 

With 15 minutes left on the clock the Dungbeetles balcony was packed three deep, you could have cut the air with a knife.

But it was the loyal Dungbeetles’ supporters who cheered and clapped their team on, “come on Dungbeetles, fight hard,” was all that was needed to reignite the fire in their bellies.

The Dungbeetles’ forward pack laid the foundation for quick clean ball to the scrum half then out through to the back line, the hard running Dungbeetles’ centre smashed his way over for a superb try under the Bulls’ posts.

Another try was converted making the Dungbeetles in fron 21 points to the Bulls 14, now it was do it or die trying. 

The Dungbeetles’ determination was steadfast, the forward pack ran with ball in hand. Beautiful passing from the scrum half to the centre who side stepped untouched under the Bunbury Bulls goal posts to score for the Dungbeetles taking them further in front.

With only minutes left on the clock, Bunbury came at the Dungbeetles hard and the Bulls forward pack muscled their way over the Dungbeetles try line to score. The pressure from semi final rugby took its toll on the Bunbury kicker and he missed the conversion, Dungbeetles 28 – Bunbury Bulls 19. Game over.

The Margaret River Gropers will now challenge the reigning premieres, the Mighty Dungbeetles. The grand final will be held at Gloucester Park in Margaret River from 3pm on Saturday.