Busselton and Dunsborough fire and rescue volunteers have been praised for their efforts, which saved Fig Tree Lane from fire on Friday, October 26.
Emergency crews descended on Fig Tree Lane at 6.40am, blocking off Prince Street to vehicles and pedestrians.
The initial report stated black smoke was sighted coming from a building.
Crews in attendance could see black smoke seeping out but no visible flame.
It was established the fire began at Golden Orchid Thai Massage Studio, after oily towels left on the kitchen floor spontaneously combusted.
Busselton and Dunsborough volunteer brigades as well as career firefighters from Bunbury attended the scene.
Department of Fire and Emergency Services Capes and Lower South district officer Pete Thomas paid tribute to the volunteer crews for containing the fire quickly.
“They did excellent work, the place was very close to flaring – it could have spread easily to neighbouring businesses,” he said.
“Their fast response and skill set in internal fire fighting allowed them to gain safe entrance and contain the fire.
“I did the investigation and it was lucky they got there when they did.”
Mr Thomas said the fire was a warning for others who used oily rags at home or in the workplace.
“Certain oils can generate heat and, if a rag is screwed up in a tight space, can combust,” he said.
It is estimated the blaze caused $500,000 in damage, including extensive smoke damage to the immediate neigbours of the massage studio.
The incident resulted in 25 specialty stores being closed for the day.
Sign up for our newsletter to stay up to date.