A Learn&Log mobile app has been launched by the Department of Transport to make recording supervised hours easier for learner drivers in WA by digitally recording their time behind the wheel.
DOT general manager of driver and vehicle services Steve Mitchinson said the app was developed in response to customer feedback.
The app provides a faster, more convenient way to record and submit the minimum 50 supervised driving hours required.
Mr Mitchinson said the community told the DOT they wanted digital solutions, and they had listened, delivering the Learn&Log app to simplify the process and engage novice drivers.
Designed with safety in mind, the app lets you 'set and forget' - there is no reason for learner drivers or their supervisors to interact with the mobile phone during the trip.
The app also includes a reminder to put the phone away while driving.
"The DOT is committed to making that learning process as comprehensive as possible for novice drivers and their supervisors, and believes this is the next step in improving the experience," Mr Mitchinson said.
Key features of the app include the ability to:
- Time a trip - minutes and hours are added up for you, so there's no need to calculate.
- Enter night and day time hours - there's a minimum five hours of night driving required.
- Pre-enter various supervisors and their driver's licence details so they can sign off on trips.
- Simply submit your 50 completed hours directly to the Department of Transport (DoT) with the press of a button.
- Transfer previously recorded trips from your paper logbook to the app for a seamless switch from paper to digital.
"The app was trialled with a test group of young drivers, who gave it positive reviews and easily incorporated it into their learning process."
DoT will continue to issue a printed Learner Guide and Log Book, which contains important information to help kick off the learning experience, and learner drivers can opt to use Learn&Log to record all or part of their supervised driving hours.
Learn&Log can be downloaded free from the App Store or Google Play.