SWFL, Round Eight: Magpies lose to Carey Park by 29 points

On the field: Jacob Ness and Busselton faced off against the Panthers at Bovell Park in Round Eight. Photo: Thomas Munday.
On the field: Jacob Ness and Busselton faced off against the Panthers at Bovell Park in Round Eight. Photo: Thomas Munday.

A blistering third quarter saw Carey Park come from behind to defeat seventh-placed Busselton on Saturday afternoon.

Battling wintry conditions at Bovell Park, both teams were slow and scrappy in the first quarter.

After missing a handful of chances, the Magpies booted the first goal of the game. Matthew Welburn hit the scoreboard with a sublime effort from 50 metres out.

Carey Park trailed by seven at quarter time, before bouncing back and creating more opportunities in the second term.

The Panthers cheered as Jordan Wallam slotted the first of his five goals.

Following a low-scoring first half, Busselton's Reegan Mrsich and Jed Kemp lined up to kick one goal each.

Carey Park recovered to put away five consecutive majors, soon after.

Goals to Wallam, Riese Wilkey, and Jeffrey Carter shocked Busselton and delighted the Panthers' fanbase.

Kicking three goals to one in the final term, Carey Park cruised to a 9.5 (59) to 4.6 (30) victory.

Busselton will search for its third win of the season against the Harvey Bulls in Round Nine.

Bunbury got more than it bargained for during the side's showdown with Collie in Round Eight. Battling at Payne Park, both teams were neck-and-neck throughout the opening term.

In front by three points at quarter time, Bunbury notched up three goals to one in the second quarter.

The Bulldogs put themselves in a strong position, before claiming a 15-point half-time lead.

Feeling refreshed after the break, the visitors came back to kick four goals to three in the third term.

Ahead by 10 at the final change, Bunbury romped home to win 10.10 (70) to 8.6 (54).

The Bulls were left to pick up the pieces following their disastrous 112-point loss to Donnybrook.

The Dons worked to claim seven unanswered goals, and concede just two points, in the first quarter.

Booting another three goals in the second, the visitors led by a whopping 63 points at half time.

The reigning premiers went on to secure a commanding 18.13 (121) to 0.9 (9) win.

Harvey-Brunswick-Leschenault breezed past South Bunbury to claim a 33-point victory at Hands Oval.

Following a one-sided first half and an entertaining second half, the Lions celebrated a 8.12 (60) to 4.3 (27) win.

Eaton retained second spot with a 11.11 (77) to 7.12 (54) win over Augusta-Margaret River at Gloucester Park.

In front by two points at the main break, the Boomers impressed with four goals to one in the second half.

Read more: