Convincing win by Wests

Archer Coates on the ball.
Archer Coates on the ball.

After a slow start to Saturday, August 10's game against fifth placed Towns South, Wests cruised to a 6 - 1 victory.

Injury ravaged Wests went in to this 11th round home game without three players from its 2018 grand final team, Bryte Townsend and Ben Payne both injured, with Luke Wedderburn unavailable.

Despite changes to the side, Wests, currently sitting third on the ladder with 5 wins, 4 losses and 2 draws were firm favourites coming in to the game.

In the opening quarter both Russel Hartley, recently returned to the senior side, and Nayton Colombera showed glimpses of their capability and talent as Wests displayed solid defence and quick ball movement creating goal opportunities that saw the ball wide of the mark.

The most threatening opportunity came 20 seconds before the break when a shot at goal from Towns South was brilliantly saved by Wests goal keeper, Dan McKeown.

After quarter time Wests came out with a positive intent and started to place pressure on the Towns South defence, this pressure was rewarded two minutes before half-time when a missed opportunity from a penalty corner saw Sam Tolley provide a solid pass from outside the attacking D, finding Matty Braid on his own in front of goal that he accepted and converted, Wests 1 - Towns South 0.

At the half-time huddle, playing coach Brent Dancer urged his team to stick to the basics and the game plan, asking the team to remain focused on moving the ball, finding space and creating scoring opportunities.

Wests were again dominant in the third quarter and through aggressive running and quick ball movement where able to score a further three goals, one each to Harry Jilley, Russell Hartley and Matty Braid.

The highlight being Russell Hartley's goal scored from excellent lead up play and well executed cross from Brent Dancer.

Towns South scored a goal leaving the score at three-quarter-time 4-1 to the home side.

At the 14-minute mark of the fourth quarter a good forward run by one of the up and coming team youngsters, Archer Coates was rewarded with a penalty corner.

A set play corner ending in a hard hit from Miles Armstrong, that beat the Towns South Goal Keeper, scores now 5 - 1.

An additional opportunity was created for Miles Armstrong prior to the end of the game when a squared ball from Nayton Colombera was accepted and converted with just over two minutes remaining.

At the conclusion of the game, coach, Brent Dancer appeared satisfied with his sides progress and felt that they were starting to play some good hockey in the lead up to the finals.

The final score 6 - 1 to Wests who will now look forward to next week's game against Associates on Saturday, August 17 starting 4.45pm at the Bunbury Hockey Stadium.