Alarm saves Margaret River family from house fire

The blaze broke out early on Thursday morning. Photo - CW Images
The blaze broke out early on Thursday morning. Photo - CW Images

A fire alarm has saved a family from a house fire which completely destroyed a Margaret River home around 3am on Thursday September 12.

A Department of Fire and Emergency Services spokesperson said the fire was started by a child which quickly got out of control.

Emergency crews were called to the home at 3am taking just over an hour to put out the blaze, thanks to Volunteer Fire and Rescue Services from Margaret River, Cowaramup, Witchcliffe and Wallcliffe.

Department of Fire and Emergency Services Lower South West superintendent Phil Brandrett said this was a classic example of a working fire alarm saving lives.

"Around 50 people in Australia die from house fires each year, accidental and preventable fires," he said.

"They can spread really fast and a house can be engulfed in flames in about five minutes."

Mr Brandrett said fire alarms saved lives because they woke people up and gave people early warning by activating very early in the development of a fire.

"People should check their smoke alarms are working and test them regularly, they should also be replaced every 10 years regardless of their power source.

"If we are vigilant of the risks and have a home fire safety plan that is probably the best defense we could have, fire will destroy homes.

"Having a fire alarm in place, having a plan and being aware of the risks in the home.'

The homeowner Helen Perkin said their tenants woke up to the fire alarm in the early hours of Thursday morning to find the lounge room completely engulfed in flames.

Ms Perkin said they woke their children and managed to get out of the house safely, and later attended Margaret River Hospital for smoke inhalation.

"The police and emergency services were excellent in containing the fire but sadly the family have lost all their belongings in the fire."

Local help: Harwinder Singh, Rajvir Pandher, Catrin Davies, Joshua Spargo and Dylan Wood from Dominos Margaret River. Photo: Supplied

Local help: Harwinder Singh, Rajvir Pandher, Catrin Davies, Joshua Spargo and Dylan Wood from Dominos Margaret River. Photo: Supplied

Ms Perkin said the community was rallying around the tenants who lost everything in the fire.

"Dominos in Margaret River have offered to assist the family who have lost everything, this Friday they will donate money from every order."

Ms Perkin said it had been traumatic for everyone involved and they were so thankful to the emergency services who attended the scene.

"They responded very quickly and were able to control the blaze considering there was significant bush surrounding the adjoining properties.

"The property is completely contained while we sort the insurance claim."

Dominos Margaret River franchisee Rajvir Pandher will hold a 'Doughraiser' this Friday, 20 September to help raise funds for the Shaw family.

In addition to providing hot meals for the family while they get back on their feet, Rajvir and the team at Domino's Margaret River will donate $1.00 from every pizza sold, to the family to help them rebuild their lives.

Mrs Pandher said all funds raised this Friday would go towards helping the Shaw family recover and rebuild.

"When I first found out about what had happened to the Shaw family, I was absolutely devastated for them," she said.

"I knew we had help out and do all we could to rally around this family and help them recover.

"I believe it is important to give back to those in need, and we are committed to helping the Shaw family as much as we can during this difficult time.

"We encourage all of our customers to come down on Friday to enjoy a slice of their favourite pizza to help support a family in need."

The Domino's Margaret River Doughraiser will be held on Friday, 20 September from 11am - 12am, with $1 from every pizza sold donated to the Shaw family.

WA Police said the investigation established there was no criminality in relation to the fire and as such the matter would rest with DFES.

For more information about fire safety in the home please visit www.dfes.wa.gov.au/safetyinformation/Pages/default

This story Alarm saves Margaret River family from house fire first appeared on Augusta-Margaret River Mail.