Cliff's Kitchen makes changes in response to COVID-19 pandemic

Cliff's Kitchen coordinators John Morris and Kerry Bailey prepare takeaway service to feed Busselton residents who are doing it tough.
Cliff's Kitchen coordinators John Morris and Kerry Bailey prepare takeaway service to feed Busselton residents who are doing it tough.

The coronavirus pandemic will see Cliff's Kitchen move to a takeaway service from Wednesday as restrictions on social gatherings are put into action.

Cliff's Kitchen coordinator John Morris said while they would close its regular service down, a group would still do all the cooking and people could access meals through a takeaway service.

"Entry will be through the main door at St Mary's, we will let people in so there aren't too many at once," he said.

"People will be able to walk up to the servery to get their takeaway meal in a plastic container and bag and walk off from there.

"It will be the usual thing, we will have a coin box for a gold coin donation."

Coordinator Kerry Bailey said they had already experienced a decline in numbers at Cliff's Kitchen with people avoiding social gatherings during the COVID-19 pandemic.

"Last week we had 59 people attend, we usually nudge around 90," she said.

"We always do 100 meals because you never know how many will come along."

Mr Morris said their biggest worry at the moment was the supply of food to keep Cliff's Kitchen running.

"We have people donate supplies of canned food, pasta, milk, that is now running out," he said.

"There is no way I would be game to go into the supermarket and fill up a trolley.

"We are normally able to get good supplies at the Food Bank, but they have nothing on the shelves either."

If anyone would like to make a food donation they can drop off items at St Mary's office or phone 9754 3775.