UPDATE 3.00pm FRIDAY:
WATCH AND ACT: People west of Caves Road between Spencer Road and Johnson Road including Quininup Road, Tilly Road and parts of Leeuwin-Naturaliste National Park in parts of Yallingup and Wilyabrup.
- You are in danger and need to act immediately to survive. There is a threat to lives and homes.
- The alert level for this fire has been upgraded as fire activity has increased..
- People living on the ocean side of Tilly Road are at risk and need to evacuate now.
- The fire started near Tilly Road.
WHAT TO DO:
- If the way is clear, leave now for a safer place.
- Do not wait and see, leaving at the last minute is deadly.
- Close all doors and windows and turn off evaporative air conditioners, but keep water running through the system if possible.
- If you cannot leave, you need to get ready to shelter in your home.
- Go to a room in your home away from the fire front and make sure you can easily escape.
- Choose a room with two exits and water such as a kitchen or laundry.
- If you are not at home, it's too dangerous to return.
WATCH AND ACT: People in an area east of Caves Road bounded by Spencer Road to the north, Puzey Road to the east and Johnson Road to the south.
- The fire started near the intersection of TILLY RD and QUININUP ROAD.
WHAT TO DO:
- If you are not prepared or you plan to leave, leave now if the way is clear.
- If you are well prepared and plan to actively defend your home, make final preparations now.
- If you plan to stay and actively defend, do not rely on mains water pressure as it may be affected. You need to have access to an independent water supply, and start patrolling your property to put out spot fires.
- Keep doors and windows closed and turn off evaporative air conditioners, but keep water running through the system if possible.
- If you are not at home, do not try to return as conditions in the area could be very dangerous.
- The bushfire is moving slowly in a easterly direction.
- It is not contained or controlled.
- Burning embers are likely to be blown around your home.
Exiting on Caves Road is possible via Quininup Road and Tilly Road..
ROAD CLOSURES AND CONDITIONS:
Avoid the area and be aware of fire and emergency services personnel working on site.
A number of roads have been closed including:
- Quininup Road
- Tilly Road
- Caves Road (between Wyadup Road and Johnson Road)
- Abbey Farm Road (between Caves Road and Puzey Road)
Motorists are asked to avoid the area, reduce speed and drive carefully due to smoke. Road information may also be available from Main Roads WA by visiting the Main Roads Travel Map, calling 138 138 or by contacting your Local Government Authority.
WHAT FIREFIGHTERS ARE DOING:
- Firefighters are on the scene, actively fighting the fire.
- 75 Volunteer Fire and Rescue Service, Parks and Wildlife Service and Local Government firefighters are attending.
- Aerial support has been sent to assist ground crews.
- State Emergency Services and WA Police are also in attendance.
DRONES AND AERIAL SUPPORT:
Never fly a drone, model aircraft or multirotor near bushfires. Doing so poses a major safety risk to firefighting personnel in the air and on the ground, and forces aircraft to be grounded or redirected, hindering firefighting efforts.
- The fire was reported at 09:00 AM on 9 December 2021.
- Currently there has been 60 hectares burnt.