Man admits to driving and burglary offences, receives two-year sentence

A Dunsborough man who fell back into bad habits after serving time will undergo a further two years behind bars over a series of incidents. 

Jackson Tyler Horrocks, 21, faced Bunbury Magistrates Court via video link from Bunbury Regional Prison on June 29 for sentencing. 

Horrocks had already pleaded guilty to three counts of being in a car accident and failing to report, three of being involved in an accident where property was damaged and failed to stop, driving without a licence, reckless driving, breaching a community based order, aggravated home burglary, stealing, breaching bail conditions, possessing cannabis, possessing a prohibited plant, and possessing drug paraphernalia. 

Police prosecutor Senior Constable Karl Rep told the court Horrocks, at 11.35pm on January 17, misjudged a bend on Dunsborough Lakes Road before crossing over to the wrong side, jumping a kerb, and colliding into a carport and parked cars. 

While panicked, Horrocks fled the scene. He was found to have been driving with a learner’s permit, and had never possessed a driver’s licence. 

At 12.40pm on March 14, Horrocks and two co-offenders broke into a garage on Robbie’s Close, Quindalup and took various items. 

Neighbours saw the group and reported the incident to police, with officers finding Horrocks a short time later.

Police entered Horrocks’ home at 5.30pm on March 22 and found a glass smoking implement, five cannabis seeds, and eight clipseal bags containing cannabis. 

The court heard Horrocks, while under a community based order, had failed to report on three separate occasions and had been impacted by mental health issues including an incident on January 1 where Horrocks had attempted to self harm.

Defence lawyer Fiona Walsh said Horrocks had left prison in a “good place” before relapsing into drinking and self harm. 

She said her client had completed his Certificate III training while in custody.

Despite taking Horrocks’ rehabilitation into account, Magistrate Belinda Coleman stressed the seriousness of the offences and his current situation. 

Horrocks was fined $3700, received $811.70 in costs, and given a two-year term of imprisonment backdated to April 4. 

Ms Coleman said he would have to serve 12 months before being eligible for parole. 

Read more: