Busselton man attaacked outside his home

Violence on the streets of Busselton

A Busselton resident was left bloodied and bruised after a group of young people attacked him with lumps of wood outside his home.

The frightening attack happened to Matthew Anderson when he confronted a group of teenagers he caught lurking in his carport around 4pm on February 6, 2021.

Following the attack Mr Anderson was left with severe concussion, whiplash,a hematoma and black eyes leaving him unable to work for the next few months.

"There is a group going around who are doing this and they are willing to take it to the next level," he said.

"I could have been killed and I have three young kids, I am wary about what is going on in the community."

Mr Anderson was watching television on the afternoon of the incident when his dog started barking.

He went outside to investigate and saw a teenager came out of his carport.

Mr Anderson asked the intruder to leave the property, which has several other neighbouring units that share a common driveway.

The young person would not leave and threatened to go to his neighbours' houses. Mr Anderson returned to his home and grabbed a baseball bat. He said he didn't intend to use it but wanted it by his side.

"When I walked outside there was a kid standing at the end of my driveway, a teenager yelled out, 'look out he has a bat,'" he said.

"There was a girl standing near the power box, when I came around the corner they all picked up lumps of wood, there were another four teenagers on the driveway.

"They did not want to leave, they were intimidating. They were trying to case the joint. All I wanted was for them to leave."

Mr Anderson called out to his neighbours who came outside telling the young people to leave.

"Four of them started coming towards me. I kept telling them to get out of here then the one who was in my carport came straight at me."

Mr Anderson said the person swung a lump of wood at him which hit him in the head.

"I was just stunned - dazed - he whacked me pretty hard," he said.

The group of teens ran down a walkway towards Fairway Drive and began throwing rocks at Mr Anderson who followed them to see where they were headed.

"They ran around to a cul-de-sac and were screaming out, 'help me this crazed man has a bat.'"

Residents came out to see if Mr Anderson was okay, by which time the lump on his head had tripled in size. A lady drove Mr Anderson to hospital.

"Over the next couple of days the blood drained out of the hematoma and into my eyes, so I ended up with a big bloody black eye and a partial black eye," he said.

"All I wanted was for them to leave, for doing that, for protecting myself, my property and the people who live here, I copped a whack in the head,"

Mr Anderson is hoping witnesses to the incident or anyone who can identify the young offenders comes forward to police.

CCTV of the alleged attackers has been given to police, and Mr Anderson said if anyone else had any CCTV footage of the incident to also come forward.

"I would really like these kids held accountable for what they have done," he said.

A WA Police spokesperson said the matter was still under investigation and as of yet nobody has been charged.

Anyone with information regarding the incident is asked to call Crime Stoppers on 1800 333 000 or to make a report online at crimestopperswa.com.au.